Sunday, November 13, 2005

Sylvestre

SYLVESTRE:
FROM THE FRENCH OF TISANE TASSANI


When I drink from the sap of the tall evergreen
And I feel the cool Earth enter my veins
In gratitude – what can this gratefulness be?
And who for, but for the being of the tree?
The woodlands where I walk are so green,
With so many species of bird and animal
That in awe I draw back from all explanation
And drink from my five senses, as from a well.

I have no flock to care for – I am a woodlander
In five-hundred year old thickets & unfathomable glades
No congregation or pastor joins me here
And there are no young folk to go on promenades:
Then, let me give to each perfectly formed leaf my blessing
That together we make the sweetest murmuring.


________________________

3 comments:

Blogging Blogging Queen said...

Hi there! I was just surfin blogs via the nav bar up top
and found yours (like and adventure). You write better
than many of the blogs I just went by, so have you
ever thought about trying to make a little money
blogging? Not tons, but I mean, just enough to
pay for some other things like webhosting or a car
payment, etc? Well, please do NOT confuse this with
the cr*ppy comment spam I see all over the place, but
I spotted a very cool free book on how to make money
blogging blogging and blogging some more..!

Hey, if you're gonna do it, you might as well get a LITTLE somethin' for it...!

Take care, and keep up the great writing,
Tiffany Burrell
How to Make Money Blogging Blogging
ps. No, that's NOT my real picture, lol!

Plutarch said...

Unlike the glamorous blogging queen, I am not offering you the chance to make tons of money. As a leading authority on Tisane,however, I must congratulate you on the scholarly manner in which you have adapted what is arguably Tisane's greatest lyric poem. Tilleul had a go, but not being a native English speaker he missed out on some of the inflections underlying the sentiments.

I do think the final result is a great achievement in itself, and stands alone very well without the support of Tisane.

tristan said...

i was ignorant of tisane until you so sweetly carpeted my path with his flowers